McAfee is one of the leading antivirus companies that offers an all-around security to computer and mobile devices.
Compatible with Windows PCs, MacOS, iOS, and Android, McAfee has gained prominence in the world of cyber-security as it provides comprehensive protection against all viruses and malware attacks.
However, there could be numerous reasons due to which the users may have to uninstall this antivirus – McAfee. Some of the possible ones include:
- Cleaning up your system.
- Corrupted files resulting from previously installed versions of McAfee software.
- Third-party software conflicts.
- Migration to newer products like Endpoint Upgrade Assistant (EUA).
Now, the question arises- how to uninstall McAfee from your computer system? There are several methods that can help you remove McAfee properly.
If you have McAfee products preinstalled on your system, you need to first activate your McAfee subscription before you decide to remove the product.
How to Uninstall McAfee using Windows Settings?
In order to get rid of McAfee products from a PC running on Windows, you need to use the standard method of removal. Here are some simple steps that are to be followed to uninstall McAfee software using the built-in settings:
Read Also >> McAfee vs Norton: Which is better in 2020?
- Click the ‘Start’ menu on the bottom left-hand corner and then tap the ‘gear’ (Settings) icon. Alternatively, you can type ‘Settings’ in the search bar.
- Select the ‘Apps’ menu.
- Search for McAfee related products by typing ‘McAfee’ in the search box.
- Click the McAfee app or product that you wish to remove and hit ‘Uninstall.’ This step will be followed by a prompt message for permission, on which you have to select ‘Uninstall’ again to confirm.
- Once you confirm, you will reach the McAfee uninstaller. Each version displayed here is different, so you need to abide by the removal instructions and the McAfee product will be automatically deleted from your computer system.
McAfee Removal Tool – McAfee Uninstaller
If the Windows Settings menu fails to help you, then McAfee removal tools can do the task. McAfee Consumer Product Removal tools (MCPR) are compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
However, please note that McAfee uninstall tools do not work on Windows 98 or Windows ME.
Before using MCPR tools, you must know that the following McAfee products are supported by McAfee Removal Tools:
- McAfee Total Protection
- McAfee Internet Security Suite
- McAfee AntiSpyware
- McAfee Data Backup
- McAfee SpamKiller
- McAfee VirusScan
- McAfee QuickClean
- McAfee PC Protection Plus
- McAfee VirusScan Plus
- McAfee Wireless Protection
- McAfee SecurityCenter
- McAfee SiteAdvisor
- McAfee Anti-Spam
- McAfee Wireless Protection
- McAfee Personal Firewall
- McAfee Privacy Service
Below is the list of McAfee Removal Tools that come in handy when you want to uninstall the McAfee products:
- McAfee AntiVirus Removal Tool
- McAfee AntiSpyware Removal Tool
- McAfee Internet Security Removal Tool
- McAfee Personal Firewall Removal Tool
- McAfee Total Protection Removal Tool
- McAfee Virus Scan Removal Tool
Here is a step-by-step guide to use the McAfee Removal Tools:
- Download the latest version of MCPR from the official McAfee’s website.
- Run the MCPR tool.
- Accept the license agreement. Insert the CAPTCHA code.
- Click the ‘Next’ button to proceed.
- Wait for a moment until McAfee uninstall process begin.
- Once the uninstall process is complete, click ‘View Logs.’
After the completion of McAfee removal operations, you will be asked to reboot your system. Make sure that all your data is saved beforehand, so that any sensitive and important information is not compromised or lost in the process. Please do this before you restart your PC.
How to uninstall McAfee software from a non-Windows device?
Where you can use MCPR tools on a Windows system, there are other effective methods to help the non-Windows’ devices users.
Below given are the various ways to uninstall McAfee for Linux, Android, iPhone and MacOS systems:
McAfee Uninstaller for Linux
To remove McAfee antivirus software from your Linux PC or server, you need to adhere to the following process:
- Navigate to the ‘Applications’ menu.
- Choose the ‘Ubuntu Software Center.’
- Input ‘MAVL’ in the search box.
- Select the ‘McAfee AntiVirus For Linux’ option.
- Select the ‘Remove’ button.
- Fill the credentials as requested.
- Click ‘Authenticate’ to confirm.
McAfee Uninstaller for Android device and iPhones
Here’s how to remove McAfee Mobile Security from the Android devices:
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app.
- Tap the ‘Location & Security’ option.
- Click the ‘Device Administrators’ tab.
- Deselect ‘McAfee Mobile Security.’
- Then, you can go ahead with any of the two options:
- Uninstall Mobile Security with the help of in-app removal feature.
- Use the device’s default app removal feature.
Here’s how to uninstall McAfee Mobile Security from iPhones and iPads:
- Press and hold the ‘McAfee Mobile Security’ app.
- Click the ‘x’ button located at the top left of the app icon.
- Select the ‘Delete’ option to confirm.
- Press the ‘Home’ button to complete the process. If you have iPhone X, tap ‘Done’ on the top-right corner of the screen.
McAfee Uninstaller – MacOS
Uninstalling any application is a piece of cake on MacOS as all you have to do is:
- Locate the app in the ‘Applications’ folder.
- Drag it to the ‘Trash Can’ that appears on the dock on the home screen.
- Alternatively, you can simply right click on the application and select Move to Trash.
To ensure that McAfee has been completely uninstalled from our MacOS device, re-check with these steps:
- Open the ‘Applications’ folder.
- Select the ‘Utilities’ folder.
- Under the ‘Utilities’ folder, open up the’ Terminal.’
- In the Terminal, you can create the following command to uninstall the McAfee Software:
- For McAfee 4.8 – sudo/Library/McAfee/sma/scripts/uninstall.sh
- For McAfee 5.0 – sudo/Library/McAfee/cma/scripts/uninstall.sh
- Hit ‘Enter’ to proceed further.
- After the process is complete, reboot your system.
How to uninstall McAfee Antivirus using EPR Tool?
Endpoint Product Removal (EPR) tool is the last resort if the above-mentioned methods prove to be unsuccessful. It is recommended not to use an old version of EPR tool to uninstall the new versions of McAfee software. If you do so, you might end up getting unexpected results and as a result, the EPR tool will expire within 90 days.